One of my staples is the garbanzo beans (chickpeas) with chicken… It is an all-time favorite in my house. I got several of my friends totally hooked as well (yes, I mean you Carol). With abundant mint flavor, this is one of the healthiest yet most satisfying dishes I make.
Garbanzo Beans with Chicken
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade or low-sodium
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, chopped or 1 14-oz diced canned variety
- 14-oz can garbanzo beans, or 2 cups cooked from dried
- 3-4 Tbsps fresh mint or as many tsps if using dried, or to taste
- 1-2 Tbsps red chili flakes, or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth in a dutch oven or deep 5-6 qt pan on medium or medium high heat. Add chicken. Cook while mostly covered (to keep juices locked in), stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
Remove chicken from pan, let the juices remain in pan. If the pan is running low on juices, add few more tablespoons of broth and then stir in the garlic and the onions. Let onion soften, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes. Stir in celery and peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add tomatoes and garbanzo beans to pan. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the chicken back in the pan and then the remaining chicken broth. Add the spices. Bring to boil.
Simmer covered for 30 minutes. No need to stir during this time, other than maybe to check the spice levels at the end to adjust.
Makes 5 generous servings. Here are the nutrition facts:
NOTE: You can add some salt to taste and use some olive oil to cook the chicken or saute the onions. If you’d like to treat this more like a soup, you can adjust the broth levels as well.