I made a variation of my usual Kale Soup with Chicken Sausage and Lentils, without the sausage or the lentils, neither of which is part of my food regimen yet.
Since I love kale so damn much, I tried to recreate the flavors by playing around with ingredients… Turned out pretty awesome. I liked how the veggies were still somewhat firm. I do not like mushy veggies.
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, 1/2 inch dice
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, cubed
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 twigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 carrots. chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low sodium
- Red chili flakes, to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
Heat half a cup of broth in a 6-7 qt pan or dutch oven. Add chicken breasts and cook until brown. Set chicken aside. Put another half cup of broth in pan and saute the onions and celery for 5-7 minutes. Stir often to scrape the brown bits remaining in the pan from the chicken.
Add the garlic, carrots and red bell peppers and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the remaining broth. Bring to boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add kale and tomatoes to the pan, plus spices to taste (I am really generous with both the flakes and the black pepper). Cover pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.